Real Meals with Sophia
Your baby is holding their head up independently and sitting up upright with some support, propping up on their elbows while lying on their tummy, no longer sticking out their tongue when something is put in their mouth, and is at least 4 months old. It’s time. It’s time to start introducing real meals. Real Meals with Sophia follows the milestones of our very own Feeding Therapist, OT, and Lactation Counselor, Bianca Lane’s daughter, Sophia as she travels down the road of real meals.
When starting the real meal process, it is important to remember a few things:
- All babies develop at different rates
- The decision to introduce foods should be a mutual one between caregivers and your pediatrician
- Concerns regarding your child’s development should be brought to the attention of your pediatrician
- Goal of initial food introduction is for exploration, not calorie intake
- Pace should be determined by child and not forced
- Common cues to watch for before presenting spoon: open eyes, leaning forward, opening mouth, reach for food
- Keep flavors simple
- Don’t presume your child has a specific taste preference, offer a wide variety of tastes
- Frequent reintroductions of flavors are important to establish variety in repertoire
Getting messy is SO important and not to mention, FUN!
- Babies are more likely to eat food they are comfortable touching with their hands first
- Exploring a food with our hands and eyes first, prepares us for how it will feel in our mouth as we chew
- Sensory exploration also happens when food is on a child’s face. It also encourages tongue mobility when trying to retrieve food from lips. As a parent I know it can be hard but try to limit the amount of wiping during a meal and save it for the very end
- Children who explore food this way are more likely to have a varied diet as they grow
This is a fun, sensory friendly way to clean up!
This series will follow Sophia’s journey of Real Meals from introduction to adventurous eater; giving tips, tricks and ideas to get your little one on the right path. To continue driving down Sophia’s Real Meal Milestone’s with us, check back on our Facebook bi-weekly for updates!
Click below for previous chapters!